HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Hot time in the old town; with lots of art

I started out with about 8 people yesterday, including my family, and then lost them around a mojito stand. I ended up alone at the art festivals on Saturday. I think this is the first time in my life that I have ever been by myself at the Coconut Grove Arts Festival or the St. Stephen's Art Show. It was a bit awkward at first, but without anyone with me talking my ear off or me talking their ear off, I was able to notice a lot around me. It was hot though. The weather was brutal.

There was was a lot of organic art this year, or so it seemed. A bunch of Grove businesses took part by putting out art on the streets in front of their stores - it felt very much like the "old Grove." So many people I spoke with (mostly the artists who had not been back for a year) were shocked and mortified by all the development in the village so this little throwback to good times was nice.


There was art being created on the spot, which is always nice.
And there were antiques and crafts, which usually aren't part of the arts festivals.
The St. Stephen's show had lots of the crafts and the Grove Arts Festival had the fine art and lots more and better food stations than previous years.
The new Coconut Grove Store, which sells Coconut Grove branded merchandise was doing a brisk business. People really liked the merchandise. They were set up at St. Stephen's but their store is on Fuller Street. They are having a grand opening celebration on February 22, more on that later in the week.


Live music was part of both festivals, it was more intimate at St. Stephen's at their Makersfest area, where the crafts and music is situated. 
But as usual, there were the tents and the art, and lots of people. It ended up being a lot of fun. I'll go back tomorrow with friends and see it in the usual light, but for the one day, it was interesting seeing it through new eyes.
Both festivals are ongoing all weekend through Monday. They are open from 10 am to 6 pm. 

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.